Friday, July 31, 2009

Back to work

Last night was back to work as usual. I'm still really impressed with how easy it is to keep Spider straight since having his hocks injected. I know he has arthritis in his hocks and I've been struggling with him falling in to the left for some time, but somehow never put two and two together. We warmed up with three loop serpentines at the trot, with me being careful to not let him fall in on his inside shoulder when we tracked left.

I recently recieved the August issue of Dressage Today, which has a really good article on exercises to develop collection by George Williams. I've been wanting to try them out since reading it. Of course, by the time I got out to ride I had forgotten most of them. The one exercise that did stick out in my mind was a shoulder in (trot) to a turn on the haunches, to renvers. We tried it, and I must say that I love it! Spider was actually pretty good at it, so we added a twist: shoulder in(trot), turn on the haunches, renvers(walk), trot off, half volte to next shoulder in. I really enjoyed the way it put me in touch with his inside hind leg and sat him back on his haunches. I think I'm going to add it to our regular warm up.

Overall, I'm really happy with his work right now: he feels good, he looks good and he's making me look good. Who can complain?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love them, even though I'm really bad at replying. (Sorry! I always say I'm going to work on that, but then I get distracted...... Hey is that a squirrel?)

I've turned off the word verification because it's hard to read and annoying. But, I'm also too lazy to approve comments, so now it's a free for all. Please note: If you spam my blog, I will spam you back. Literally. I will hunt you down and pelt you with canned meat until you beg for mercy. So, please, no spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...